Learn all around how VSM works, and how you can use it
VSM is designed to foster an iterative approach to step-by-step unlock more functionality & use cases. A typical mindset around using VSM consists of the following steps:
- Discover - various integrations allow users to use information that is already available around the software engineering organization
- Contextualize & ensure quality - make sure that discovered data matters, so that people can rely on it
- Leverage - discovery alone doesn't create value, for this, you need either mechanisms to make information available to a broad audience, or ideally trigger immediate actions
How does it work?
Discovery is key to a successful VSM implementation, which is why we constantly invest in ready-to-use integrations based on a best-practice data model. However obviously, your environment is more diverse, which is why our APIs are as important for own integrations.
Contextualize & ensure quality
Value Stream Management (VSM) is built on the LeanIX Continous Transformation Platform® - which next to a powerful data model offers a sophisticated Inventory to search, filter & mass edit data. On top of the inventory, users can find multiple mechanisms to ensure data quality. For power users, the reporting capabilities provide various ways to analyze & share the discovered information.
In order to leverage information for a large audience, portals can be intuitively tailored to the needs of your stakeholders. Also, embedding information in your daily workflows (e.g. Teams, Slack) can be a powerful mean to turn a static inventory into a tool-of-choice.
Can I try it myself?
Sure - https://www.leanix.net/en/demo-vsm enables you to setup your own personal environment within minutes.
Be encouraged to provision a demo environment
Even if you are an existing customer, a look into a personal demo environment often helps. We curate the demo data & would love to get your feedback!
If you feel that you are serious & the demo data are just confusing, please get in touch - we are happy to provision an empty environment.
I have 10 minutes - help me understand it
Challenge accepted! Choose between two paths:
Access to an AWS Account, Azure Subscription, GCP project, or Github Organisation is helpful. You can start from other sources as well though - see Discovery - Overview
- Go to the Integration UI and setup your integration
- Go to the Inventory to see the imported software artifacts. Hint: If no data appear, use the sync log for trouble-shooting
- Create an initial Portals based on your data, and provide access to relevant stakeholders
Are you using LeanIX EAM?
If yes - great! The Integration allows you to import your Applications as Products in order to not start from scratch.
No? Nevermind - think about an important software product that your company is shipping, or a part of this (e.g. Checkout) that you are responsible for.
- Go to the Inventory and create a product (or use an existing one)
- Connect the product:
- To domains - how is it structured internally?
- To software artifacts - what are the technical components developed by your team?
- Go to Reports and assess the created landscapes
- Now talk to one of your engineering lead - what would be required to bring-in the software artifacts automatically?
Ok, I'm serious - how does it work in practice
Check the VSM flywheel!
Updated over 1 year ago