VSM's central repository to search, filter & update information
The Inventory is LeanIX's central repository where all data about your microservices and their dependencies is stored and managed. Most of the data in the Value Stream Management (VSM) inventory is created and maintained automatically. In this section, you will learn how to find and filter information in the inventory.
All objects (Software Artifact, Deployment, Team, etc.) in the inventory are stored in individual Fact Sheets that represent available information. Each object type possesses its own Fact Sheet template.
The inventory comes with 2 types of views from which you can filter as well as navigate to individual factsheets:
In the standard view for every Fact Sheet, the most important information is displayed, incl.
- Qualitative Information: Brief description, your role in regards to this Fact Sheet, completeness, and last update
- Classifying Information: Fact Sheet Type and Tags
An more detailed view on the inventory is the Table View. It illustrates the inventory in a classic table style. Just click "As Table" in the upper right corner of the inventory.
As a default, it will only show the name and the type of the factsheet. To see additional information you need to visualise the desired information explicitly.
- Fact Sheet Type: Choose Software Artifacts to reduce the Fact Sheet Types you will see in the table.
- Select Table view: Click the icon "As Table" to show the Fact Sheet as list in the table.
- Select Columns: Click the icon "Select columns" to enter the dropdown menu that shows you all information, which is available on the respective Fact Sheet Type.
- Make columns visible: As you click on the eye icon next to every category of the dropdown, the category will appear in the table. You can drag the categories within the menu to define the sequence of its appearance in the table.
Search, Filter, and Find
Since there can be thousands of objects within ones’ repository, it is important to find the right piece of information within a short time. LeanIX has several options on how to get the right information in a very easy way.
The most comprehensive way to find factsheets is by using the smart search feature. You activate it by pressing the magnifier right next to the filters in the inventory.
The smart search not only shows you the Fact Sheet but searches for tags, categories, or relations.
If the name of the object is known to the user, you can search for the object via the Jump to a Fact Sheet menu on the top of the page. Matching strings within an object’s name are underlined, all other objects, which are listed, contain the search term within a text field (e.g. description) of the Fact Sheet.
If the name of the object is not known, you can narrow the total amount of Fact Sheets down by using the Filter options (cp. Dual Axis Filtering) right above the Fact Sheet List.
Here you can select any available filter to search for a specific object. Once selected, the filter settings can be saved or, if already saved and changed, later cleared. Please note that the available filter options depend on the object to search for. We recommend selecting the type of object which is searched before the filter options are adjusted. This is, for example, helpful when a list of all objects of a certain type is requested (e.g. a list of all software artifacts).
Tagging is a powerful feature to extend the data model of LeanIX and use individual aspects for filtering, documentation, highlighting and reports. This page explains
- How tags can be created and grouped
- How to assign tags to Fact Sheets
- How to filter with tags in the Inventory and in the Reporting
- How to use tags in the Reporting to create powerful individual views
How to create tags
As an administrator, you can decide between three different options:
- On-the-fly tagging: All Workspace Members and Admins can create new tags directly in the Fact Sheet
- Pre-defined tag groups OR On-the-fly tagging: For fact sheet types where tag groups are pre-defined by an Admin, on-the-fly tagging is disabled, otherwise Members and Admins can create their tags on-the-fly
- Pre-defined only: Only Admins can create tags
In case of the 2nd or 3rd option, please reach out to your Administrator if you want to create a new tag. They have a UI to maintain tags and group them:
How to assign a tag to a Fact Sheet
At the top of a Fact Sheet, you have the option to maintain tags. By clicking on "Add tag", a Pop-Up guides you through the available choices:
- In case "on-the-fly" tagging is active, just type the name of your tag. If this tag is not known yet, you have the option to create a new one
- Otherwise, you can choose from the list. The tags are grouped by tag group to guide you through the commonly used options, and show the colours which appear in the reporting
How to filter with tags
Both in the Inventory and in the Reporting, Tags can be used like all other fields to filter. You can use both the filter facets and the filter bar.
The little "Settings" button allows you to combine more than one element with an "at least one", "all" or "none" operator:
You can further filter for more than one tag groups and combine the filters with an "and" operator. In the example below, all applications with SLA bronze OR gold AND with "exception" in Product Catalogue are shown.
How to use tags in reporting
For many reports, tag groups can be used to create individual views. Views based on tags can be created for tags of the mode "single". Tags of the mode "multi" cannot be shown in a report as a view.
Below, you can see both Application Landscape and Matrix with the colors defined in the Admin UI. You can save, share and export those individual reports as every other report in LeanIX.
How to delete tag groups
If you want to delete a tag group, that is related to a lot of Fact Sheets, there is a simple way to do that. You don't need to open every Fact Sheet and delete them one per one.
- Go to the inventory and select the tag group you want to delete (use the left menu bar).
- Make an export and download the Excel-File (use the right menu bar and click on the button "Export").
- Select all tags you want to remove in the Excel-File and delete them.
- After you deleted all the tags, make an import (use the right menu bar and click on the button "Import") and the tag group is removed from your LeanIX Pathfinder.
- While importing data from Excel in LeanIX we recommend to always have "Test Run" checked to ensure that the import is going to run smoothly and no unexpected errors occur. Make sure you are familiar with our section Import & Export your Data.
- Check the archived Fact Sheets (Trash Bin in the left menu bar) and get sure to delete the tag groups also there.
How to delete a tag
To delete a single tag, go to Administration - Tagging and select your tag from the tag group. A red button "Delete tag" occurs in the detail view.
Note: Deleting a tag this way will only succeed if there is no more Fact Sheet linked to the tag
If there is at least one Factsheet assigned to the deleted tag, this tag will automatically be assigned to the group "Other tags".
You can only delete the tag from the "Other tags" section once no active Factsheet has the tag applied to it. This means that the tag that is to be deleted has been removed from all Factsheets or that all Factsheets with that tag have been archived.
Updated over 1 year ago