This integration is generally available. To find more information about the release stages of our integrations, see Release Stages.
The LeanIX VSM GitHub Repository integration offers an easy way to auto-discover all your services from GitHub. Based on this VSM's mapping inbox allows you to easily sift through all the stale information from GitHub to decide, which services are really useful to your organization and hence should be part of your service catalog. This will help you to maintain a high standard of data quality when you subsequently map your services to their individual teams to create clear team ownership.
- Automatically discover your services to build your company-wide service catalog
- Map team ownership to have clear software governance in place
The GitHub repository connector scans your GitHub organization(s) to fetch your GitHub repositories and adjacent information,
such as the programming languages used. The integration can be set up in full self-service via the Admin UI.
Support of GitHub versions
This connector currently only supports the GitHub Cloud-hosted versions ( both free & enterprise). We currently don't support GitHub Server versions nor GitHub AE. To check out which version you're using please refer to the GitHub documentation
To integrate GitHub with LeanIX VSM you need two inputs:
- Please refer to the GitHub instructions or directly create the PAT via this link
- Ensure you enable the following scopes:
Authorizing for Single Sign On
If your GitHub Organization requires Single-Sign-On, then you will also need to authorize the token for single-sign-on ( see below) or follow the detailed instructions via GitHub documentation.
In your LeanIX VSM workspace, go to Administration > Integrations and follow the instructions to set up the GitHub integration.
After the integration successfully loaded all your repositories into the VSM mapping inbox you can now start to sift through and decide which of these repos are actually worthy to maintain in the service catalog. To do so:
- Head over to Technology > Mapping
- Click on Create and either map it to another - existing service (if these are duplicates) - or create a new VSM service that will end up in the service catalog.
- Congrats! you have now created your first VSM service - neat & tidy. Go ahead and explore what it has to offer and map it to
This feature is in early access. If you have any feedback please mail us at [email protected]
A monorepo is a software development strategy where code for many projects is stored in the same repository. All the top level folders (except the hidden folders) are discovered as sub-repositories.
For the above repository structure following are the services discovered:
Below you find the list of items we fetch from GitHub:
- Repository metadata (description, name etc.)
- Programming languages used: we fetch the programming languages a repository consists of and also how many kiloBytes of code
they represent in that repo.
- Archival Status
The integration uses GitHub's GraphQL API. In case an organization has an exceptionally large number of repositories, GitHub API throttles the requests. Though the integration attempts to automatically recover from rate limiting, the integration takes more time to finish.
Schedule the integration once a day if your organization has (approx.) >2000 repositories and/or >200 teams
Updated 22 days ago